July 28, 2014
BA province teachers unions reject Gov’t salary offer, confirm 3-day strike
The Buenos Aires province teachers unions gathered in the Frente Gremial de la Provincia rejected today the 25.5 percent salary hike offered by Daniel Scioli’s administration and confirmed a 3-day strike starting tomorrow.
“They insisted on the same offer we rejected last week” union representatives told reporters after the meeting with Gov’t officials, who proposed a 25.5 salary rise to be divided in three stages: the first one in March, the second one in August and the third one in November.
“We won’t return to class unless they improve the bid”, head of Federación de Educadores Bonaerenses Mirta Petrocini and head of SUTEBA Roberto Baradel warned, suggesting the strike could go on next week.
Meanwhile, Labour Minister Oscar Cuartango assured that the mandatory conciliation issued today by Federal Government includes Buenos Aires province. “Sanctions will be applied if teachers go on strike”, he said.