December 19, 2014
Iturbe says River Plate move secured
River Plate have acquired Argentine junior international striker Juan Iturbe on a six-month loan from Portugal’s Porto for 600,000 dollars, ending weeks of speculation.
Negotiations between the two powerhouses began late in December but, after neither party could reach an agreement, Iturbe's agent Augusto Paraja claimed his client was being "punished" by the Portuguese club and threatened legal-action.
But it seems there has been a breakthrough after the half Argentine-Paraguayan striker took to his Twitter page to post the latest in a series of messages in relation to the transfer.
"All it needs is the punchline. Overjoyed," said Iturbe, confirming that all the deal lacks is the formalities.
Last week, the former Quilmes Athletic Club and Cerro Porteño had posted "This is taking too long…", in a comment understood to be in relation to the negotiation process.
The 19-year-old player just finished playing the Under-20 South American Championship in which Argentina failed for the second consecutive time to qualify for the category’s World Cup.
Iturbe, who did not bright at all as well the rest of the “Albicelestes”, will join the club on a year-long deal that provides Porto with the option of recalling him after six months.
Likewise, the Portuguese giants have set a transfer-fee clause of 7 million euros for just 40 percent of the player’s rights.