May 19, 2013
Chávez Jr tests positive for marijuana after 'Maravilla' defeat
Mexican boxer Julio César Chávez Jr. tested positive for marijuana with the Nevada State Athletic Commission, following his middleweight championship fight last weekend with Argentine Sergio "Maravilla" Martínez.
The Top Rank Inc spokesman Lee Samuels said the 26-year-old Chávez had tested positive for the banned substance after his first professional loss last weekend in Las Vegas.
"Julio César Chávez Jr will have the opportunity to explain the situation to the Nevada State Athletic Commission," Samuels said in a statement, but declined further comment.
This marks the second failed drug test in Nevada for Chávez --and the third involving a banned substance or alcohol-- as he tested positive for a diuretic to assist with weight cutting in 2009. With two offenses in Nevada, Chávez is looking at a possible 1 year suspension, though no official decision has yet been made, and the boxer will have a chance to argue his side in front of the NSAC.
The middleweight fighter could be stripped of his US$3 million purse depending on the explanation he offers to Nevada boxing regulators about a positive test for marijuana, officials have confirmed.
The promoter Bob Arum told ESPN the story had been over-played: "I can't really get excited about it. There's no promoter in boxing who could pass the marijuana test, including myself.
"Julio is going to have to explain to the commission what happened and the commission will be guided accordingly. If there was a trace of marijuana, to me, it's not the same as using a performance-enhancing drug. That is cheating."
"Of course, we're disappointed in him," Arum said. "Hopefully, he can learn a lesson here and next time get in top shape for the fight. But it shows you the immaturity here. He needs to grow up."