May 18, 2013
Cross fire over pot-bashing continues
Pro government officials and opposition leaders came on stage to, once again, express their views on last Thursday’s “cacelorazo”, with different interpretations of the scope of the nationwide pot-banging outburst.
Thus, Victory Front’s Deputy Fernando Navarro said that "it was a protest expressing the discontent of a very specific social sector. Most of those who marched in the City of Buenos Aires are the ones that voted against the President Cristina Fernández de Kirchner during last year general election”.
In addition, the lawmaker said: “The protest was aimed at politics in general. If there are 25,000 thousand people in the City of Buenos Aires who can go out to express dissatisfaction against the government is because there is no opposition political party to channel their claims and come up with new proposals.
Asked about the possibility of calling for a counter-march to support the National Government, Navarro said: “We are not organizing any counter-march. The President had the support of 54 percent of the vote just a few months ago.
Meanwhile, Transport Secretary Alejandro Ramos aimed at anti-government media groups and said that "The only pots and pans we have to pay attention are those that are still empty, those of the people who do not have access to the media yet, those who are not shown anywhere by the wealthy economic groups.”
It also clarified that "we live in a country full democracy, we respect anyone who wants to develop but our goal is to continue to deepen the model reaching the poor people."
Meanwhile, Socialist leader and former presidential candidate Hermes Binner, remarked that “The people have lost their fear, so they go out into the streets to claim for more democracy. If we [politicians] do not address the demand of the people, the following protests will be more numerous.”