Saturday
February 9, 2013
Thursday, February 16, 2012

Boca resume practices after Falcioni-Riquelme high voltage clash

After yesterday's high-voltage clash between Juan Román Riquelme and coach Julio Falcioni, Boca Juniors resumed works today in a highly expected practice. President Daniel Angelici said house's in peace and said the alleged exchange of opinions between the coach and the players was just a "misunderstanding."    

The soporific goalless draw between Boca Juniors and Deportivo Zamora on Tuesday night in Venezuela for the Copa Libertadores de América group 4, triggered a strong exchange of opinions between Riquelme and the coach in another round of their conflictive relationship.

The fragile relationship between Boca Juniors’ legend and Falcioni appears to have deteriorated further, as reports suggested that the pair clashed strongly following a disappointing Copa debut against modest Deportivo Zamora.

The tensed relationship between the two is not something new. It was the very same Riquelme who a couple of weeks ago made no secret of the fact that he is not a fan of the safety-first style advocated by Falcioni and urged his team to start playing better during the recent series of summer friendlies.

According to correspondents sent to Venezuela, Riquelme and Falcioni had a strong argument in the dressing room at the final whistle, ending with the coach informing Angelici his willingness to resign.

Although details of the clash have not been released, it is said that the player showed the coach his disagreement for having substituted forward Darío Cvitanich as well for showing a defensive attitude towards a more than modest rival.

Falcioni, who’s not new to the role of coach had allegedly replied “You can do whatever you want once you become coach”   

Even Boca president Daniel Angelici, who previously backed his coach after Roman's criticisms, became involved in the war of words that broke out in Barinas.

After touching Argentine soil, Angelici was stormed by journalists at the Ezeiza Airport to say whether or not Falcioni had tendered his resignation.

“Falcioni is going to remain at his post. That’s all I’m saying,” an inexpressive Angelici said.

Then was the turn of the coach who refused to make any comments on Riquelme, but mentioned that his future as Boca Juniors’ coach was something “I’ll have to discuss with my wife.”    

Likewise, Riquelme denied to reporters any incidents with the coach at the dressing-room “What happens in the lockers, remains there. But nothing to be worried about has happened.”

Boca are back in action on Sunday, when they visit Unión de Santa Fe for the second match of the 2012 Clausura Tournament.   
  • CommentComment
  • Increase font size Decrease font sizeSize
  • Email article
    email
  • Print
    Print
  • Share
    1. Vote
    2. Not interesting Little interesting Interesting Very interesting Indispensable
Tags:  boca  juniors  football  zamora  juan  roman  riquelme  julio  falcioni  coach  resignation  


  • Comment
  • Increase font size Decrease font size
  • mail
  • Print

COMMENTS >

Comment



Grupo ámbito ámbito financiero ambito.com Docsalud AlRugby.com Premium ávp El Ciudadano El Tribuno Management

Director: Orlando Mario Vignatti - Edition No. 3676 - This publication is a property of NEFIR S.A. - Issn 1852 - 9224 - Te. 4349-1500 - Paseo Colón 1196, (C1063ACY) CABA