Saturday
February 9, 2013
Friday, December 23, 2011

Malvinas: UK requests access to Uruguay's ports

UK’s Foreign Minister William Hague called his Uruguayan counterpart Luis Almagro to allow access of the ships with Malvinas Islands’ flags in his country’s ports.

During a telephone conversation, the British minister stated that “the ships with British flags must continue to have access to Uruguay’s ports,” UK embassy in Montevideo said in a communiqué.

The statement added that it “was a constructive and cordial conversation” and highlighted that the British government “has hopes on a satisfactory solution.”

On the other hand, Almagro assured that he has ratified Uruguay’s decision over the issue and said that they will continue “with the historical position of the country over Malvinas.”

“Admitting the Malvinas flag would mean we recognize the British jurisdiction and sovereignty.”

Uruguay’s President José “Pepe” Mujica ordered last week to ban the entrance of ships with Malvinas’ flags to their ports. The resolution was also applied by the heads of the Mercosur during the Summit held this week at Montevideo.

 

 

  • CommentComment
  • Increase font size Decrease font sizeSize
  • Email article
    email
  • Print
    Print
  • Share
    1. Vote
    2. Not interesting Little interesting Interesting Very interesting Indispensable
Tags:  malvinas  united kingdom  uk  almagro  hague  minister  ships  ports  


  • Comment
  • Increase font size Decrease font size
  • mail
  • Print

COMMENTS >

Comment



Grupo ámbito ámbito financiero ambito.com Docsalud AlRugby.com Premium ávp El Ciudadano El Tribuno Management

Director: Orlando Mario Vignatti - Edition No. 3675 - This publication is a property of NEFIR S.A. - Issn 1852 - 9224 - Te. 4349-1500 - Paseo Colón 1196, (C1063ACY) CABA