Saturday
February 9, 2013
Monday, November 14, 2011

Police close down Occupy Oakland protest camp

Police form a line between protestors and Frank H. Ogawa Plaza during the eviction of the Occupy Oakland camp.

Police moved in on Monday and cleared out anti-Wall Street protesters from Oakland's City Hall plaza, arresting 32 people but avoiding the sort of clashes that marked a previous attempt to shut down the Occupy Oakland camp.

Several dozen officers dressed in riot gear and carrying batons descended on the square shortly after dawn, but took a less aggressive approach than in a similar operation on Oct. 25 and were met with less resistance from demonstrators.

On Monday, officers in some cases were smiling and talking with protesters as they took down more than 100 tents, under illumination from the searchlight of a helicopter hovering overhead. A separate line of officers kept a chanting crowd from entering the camp.

Before the camp was completely cleared, a crowd of protest supporters outside shouted "Shame on you!"

One watching protester, Joanne Warwick, said the police action was disturbing. "Here we are after five weeks and we can't work this out," she said.

Describing the early morning raid as a mistake that could trigger more volatility, a top adviser to Oakland Mayor Jean Quan resigned on Monday over the city's actions.

Civil rights attorney Dan Siegel said he resigned at 2 am, before the raid on the encampment, after insisting police should protect, not dismantle, the camp.

"I feel like the city has really made a mistake in the way in which it decided to deal with Occupy Oakland," Siegel told reporters. The decision, he said, was "putting city officials on the wrong side of the dispute."

In the October operation, police and protesters clashed near downtown Oakland in one of the most violent episodes since the anti-Wall Street movement began in New York in September.

Former Marine Scott Olsen was critically injured during that altercation, giving impetus to the demonstrations across the United States. Olsen, 24, was released from the hospital last week and has called for peaceful demonstrations.

 

  • CommentComment
  • Increase font size Decrease font sizeSize
  • Email article
    email
  • Print
    Print
  • Share
    1. Vote
    2. Not interesting Little interesting Interesting Very interesting Indispensable
Tags:  occupy  oakland  police  protesters  anti-wall street  city hall  


  • Comment
  • Increase font size Decrease font size
  • mail
  • Print

COMMENTS >

Comment



Grupo ámbito ámbito financiero ambito.com Docsalud AlRugby.com Premium ávp El Ciudadano El Tribuno Management

Director: Orlando Mario Vignatti - Edition No. 3675 - This publication is a property of NEFIR S.A. - Issn 1852 - 9224 - Te. 4349-1500 - Paseo Colón 1196, (C1063ACY) CABA