Friday
February 8, 2013
Wednesday, October 12, 2011

US calls Argentine authorities over alleged plan to attack BA

William Burns.

US Deputy Secretary of State William Burns called the Argentine authorities on Wednesday in order to provide them with details regarding the alleged Iranian plot to assassinate the Saudi ambassador to the United States, Department of State Victoria Nuland confirmed.

Burns briefed allied countries and their ambassadors in Washington about US suspicions that high ranking Iranian authorities were behind this plot, a suggestion that may have international ramifications. 

“Let me just say that we believe that the conspirators had other objectives, but we think that the plot has been completely dismantled,” he said during a press conference. 

US authorities announced on Tuesday that two Iranian citizens had been indicted, after being accused of plotting an assassination attempt against the Saudi ambassador to the US, Adel Al-Jubeir.

The US media reported that, among the Iranians’ potential targets was the Israeli embassy in Buenos Aires. 

“Argentina was one of the countries that Deputy Secretary Burns called today,” Nuland said, and refused to provide the media present with any more details.

Argentina accused high ranking Iranian officials of being involved in the AMIA bombing that left 85 dead in 1994 in Buenos Aires. 

Argentina’s complaint has reached the UN General Assembly.

The Israeli embassy in Buenos Aires was also attacked by terrorists in 1992. 29 people were killed and over 200 were injured after an explosion outside the building.

  • CommentComment
  • Increase font size Decrease font sizeSize
  • Email article
    email
  • Print
    Print
  • Share
    1. Vote
    2. Not interesting Little interesting Interesting Very interesting Indispensable
Tags:  us  calls  argentina  iranian  plot  


  • Comment
  • Increase font size Decrease font size
  • mail
  • Print

COMMENTS >

Comment



Grupo ámbito ámbito financiero ambito.com Docsalud AlRugby.com Premium ávp El Ciudadano El Tribuno Management

Director: Orlando Mario Vignatti - Edition No. 3675 - This publication is a property of NEFIR S.A. - Issn 1852 - 9224 - Te. 4349-1500 - Paseo Colón 1196, (C1063ACY) CABA