August 20, 2014
'After 18 years, I no longer have power,' Carrió says
The Civic Coalition’s presidential candidate, Elisa Carrió, broke the silence she had maintained after the primary election results and offered a press conference in which she assured that “after 18 years, she no longer has power.”
The candidate opened her speech by saying that Sunday’s election were “transparent and clear,” unlike other elections in the past when her party had denounced fraud.
“There’s a 50 percent of the people who supports this government’s politics and we have to respect their decision,” she said.
Regarding the performance of the Civic Coalition in the primaries, Carrió said they were “in the worst position of the opposition,” and assured that she would accompany her candidates for lawmakers and senators in the October election “because they gathered more votes than I did, and that’s good.”
But she later announced, however, the she would not be leaving politics, and she will defend the same principles she has stood by "until the last day of her life." She also remarked that “I’ve been the reason of this defeat, as I had been in the past the reason of our victories.”
The head of the Civic Coalition thanked her Vice-President candidate, Adrián Pérez, for talking to the press on Sunday and explained that she did not give a press conference because “we wanted to wait until the final result in Buenos Aires province to confirm that we had reached the minimum of votes required to run in October.”
To conclude the conference, Carrió said that “we have to admit when we have power, but when the representation is over we also have to admit it, and after 18 years, I no longer have power.”