Monday, May 9, 2011
Iran doing final pre-start tests at nuclear plant
Iran is conducting final tests at its first nuclear power plant and it is expected to start generating electricity in the next two months, Iranian media said.
Meant to be the first of a network of nuclear power stations Iran says it is planning, the Russian-built Bushehr complex has missed deadline after deadline to come on stream, most recently fuel had to be removed and checked for technical problems.
Fars news agency said Bushehr would start injecting power into the national electricity grid in the next two months.
"Right now, after the fuel rods that were unloaded from the reactor core were washed, they are being loaded again and final tests are under way," Gholamali Miglinejad, a member of a parliamentary committee monitoring Bushehr, was quoted as saying by the student news agency ISNA.
Iran began loading fuel into Bushehr last August in front of foreign and domestic media, touting it as a symbol of resistance to international sanctions imposed by countries that suspect the Islamic state is seeking nuclear weapons, something it denies.
At that time, Iranian officials said it would take two to three months for Bushehr to start producing power, and that it would generate 1,000 megawatts, about 2.5 percent of Iran's electricity usage. Russia is providing the fuel for Bushehr.
But the start-up of the plant has been hit by several delays since then, with some analysts blaming the mysterious Stuxnet computer virus. Tehran said Stuxnet had afflicted staff computers at Bushehr but not affected major systems there.
Security experts say the computer worm may have been a state-sponsored attack on Iran's nuclear programme and have originated in the United States or Israel. Neither country has mentioned any link with Stuxnet.
Diplomats and security sources say Western governments and Israel view sabotage as one way of slowing Iran's nuclear work.
Meant to be the first of a network of nuclear power stations Iran says it is planning, the Russian-built Bushehr complex has missed deadline after deadline to come on stream, most recently fuel had to be removed and checked for technical problems.
Fars news agency said Bushehr would start injecting power into the national electricity grid in the next two months.
"Right now, after the fuel rods that were unloaded from the reactor core were washed, they are being loaded again and final tests are under way," Gholamali Miglinejad, a member of a parliamentary committee monitoring Bushehr, was quoted as saying by the student news agency ISNA.
Iran began loading fuel into Bushehr last August in front of foreign and domestic media, touting it as a symbol of resistance to international sanctions imposed by countries that suspect the Islamic state is seeking nuclear weapons, something it denies.
At that time, Iranian officials said it would take two to three months for Bushehr to start producing power, and that it would generate 1,000 megawatts, about 2.5 percent of Iran's electricity usage. Russia is providing the fuel for Bushehr.
But the start-up of the plant has been hit by several delays since then, with some analysts blaming the mysterious Stuxnet computer virus. Tehran said Stuxnet had afflicted staff computers at Bushehr but not affected major systems there.
Security experts say the computer worm may have been a state-sponsored attack on Iran's nuclear programme and have originated in the United States or Israel. Neither country has mentioned any link with Stuxnet.
Diplomats and security sources say Western governments and Israel view sabotage as one way of slowing Iran's nuclear work.





















