Ranelagh, the town with one hundred years of history
Although last week it had to be postponed due to weather conditions, the town where journalist Andrew Graham-Yooll grew up and where international golf icon Roberto De Vicenzo still lives, will be celebrating its centenary with a 12-hour party that will offer several options to enjoy the park, the station and the whole town surrounded by its citizens and national, provincial and municipal authorities.
Berazategui’s interim Mayor Patricio Mussi and Interim Culture Secretary Federico López; among other authorities, will be heading the opening of the Centenary celebration. Although former Mayor and current National Environment Secretary, Juan José Mussi, was algo going to be present at the rally, he will not be able to attend.
On April 30 1911, the railway service Ferrocarril Sud created a new branch which connected Berazategui district with Bosques, and as part of the dealership, authorities gave the railway the lands surrounding the tracks where Ranelagh was settled along with its popular station and prize-winning Park named the same way.
In 1958, a group of women who lived in Ranelagh decided to put the park surrounding the tracks in better conditions. With the authorization of Argentine Railways and the support of the head of Buenos Aires province’s Parks and Open Spaces, Oscar Chiesa; the group led by Eva Hajduk began to work in the park that has been awarded several times. Currently, the “Amigos de la Estación de Ranelagh” organization is in charge of the preservation of the park which has been renamed as Eva Hajduk.
Complete schedule for Ranelagh’s Station Centenary celebration:
09:00 - Mass to honour Ranelagh’s deceased residents at the Nuestra Señora de la Merced Church.
10:00 - Civic Act // Presentation of the space where the gas pumps are, place which was recently declared of Cultural Interest // Inauguration of the Flagpole: Flag hoisting with the presence of national, provincial and municipal authorities. National anthem performed by the Police Music Band of Buenos Aires Province.
11:00 - Painting competition – Organized by the Municipality, Culture and Education Department // Historical and cultural tour along Ranelagh in charge of the Municipality and Cultural Tourism Department // Guided tours around the Station’s park organized by the Amigos de la Estación de Ranelagh organization.
11:30 to 15:00 Opening of the exhibition “Ranelagh in ten decades” at the Museo Histórico y Natural of Berazategui. // Exposition of Photographs Competition – organized by the Amigos de la Estación de Ranelagh.
14:00 to 16:30 Guided tours at the “Roberto De Vicenzo” Golf Museum – 28 and 132 streets
14:30 Circus Show
15:00 to 20:00 Music Shows: Coronel Conde Regiment Band, “Cantata Crecer Acá” with the Municipal School Orchestra, the Child Chorus of the Secretariat, Ranelagh Club Chorus and children from Ranelagh’s schools, La Nave de Croydon rock band, Berazategui’s Municipal Jazz Orchestra and Ariel Ardit accompanied by his Orquesta Típica band.
16:30 to 18:30 Conversations at the station’s shed:
• Professor María Luisa Núñez: Conference of Ranelagh’s History – organized by the History and Nature Museum’s Investigation Department.
• Engineer Lisandro Chlaula – Conference of the Railway’s History – Organized by the “Victoria Ocampo” Public Library.
• Liliana Puliti and Natalia Skronski – Presentation of the “Historic Photografic Records of Ranelagh” Project – Photograph Exhibition – Organized by the “Victoria Ocampo” Public Library
19:00 Painting and Photographs’ competitions Awards Ceremony, opening in charge of the Ranelagh Club Chorus – Organized by the Culture and Education Department and the Amigos de la Estación de Ranelagh.
20:00 Finale: “Nessun Dorma” performed by the tenor Sergio Barrera // Fireworks Show
• Exposition of Old Cars – Organized by Berazategui’s Autoclub
• Stands of the history of Ranelagh’s Institutions – In Oeste Avenue in front of the Station
• “Ranelagh in ten decades” Exhibition // Photograph Competition Exposition
• Merchandising of Ranelagh’s Centenary at the stands and at the Station’s shed
Events to be held during the year of the Centenary:
• Photography Competition – organized by the Amigos de la Estación de Ranelagh. (Until April 30)
• Gardens’ competition (Until April 30)
• Literature Contest (Until April 30)
• Exhibition of Ludovico Pérez and Norma Cistaro – At the Gardim Ice-Cream and Café in Luis Agote Avenue and 362 Street. (Until April 30)
• “Ranelagh. Histories in common” exhibition – Organized by the “Roberto De Vicenzo” Golf Museum – 28 and 132 Streets. (From May 15 to December 30)
• Photography Course at the shed organized by the Amigos de la Estación. (During May)
• Centenary “Locro” lunch organized by the “Renacer” Pensioners Centre (May 22)
• Centerary “Locro” lunch organized by the “Victoria Ocampo” Public Library (May 29 at 1pm)
• Reading Symposium for zonal writers organized by the “Victoria Ocampo” Public Library. Registration via email@example.com and Facebook (June 12 at 6pm)
• Centenary Marathon organized by Ranelagh’s Rotary Club (September 2011)
• Centenary Ball organized by the Almirante Brown Community Social Club (date to be confirmed)
• Centenary Golf Tournament organized by Ranelagh Golf Club (date to be confirmed)