Monday, February 21, 2011
EU condemns Libyan repression, worried on migrants
European Union foreign ministers condemned the killing of anti-government protesters in Libya as they met to discuss the fallout from the wave of unrest sweeping North Africa and the Middle East.
Ministers from Britain, France, Germany and Italy expressed alarm at the violence and concern about the possibility of an influx of illegal migrants from North Africa after Libya's threat last week to stop cooperation in stemming the flow.
British Foreign Secretary William Hague called on the Libyan authorities to ensure proper protection for foreign nationals and assistance for those trying to leave the country.
Britain also said dependants of its embassy staff would fly home after demonstrations against Muammar Gaddafi's 42-year rule spread to the capital Tripoli.
A draft of a statement to be agreed by ministers from the EU's 27 member states condemned the repression of protests that has killed more than 200 people.
It said the council of EU states "deplores the violence and the death of civilians", and added: "Freedom of expression and the right to assemble peacefully are fundamental rights of every human being which must be respected and protected."
Finnish Foreign Minister Alexander Stubb said the European Union should consider sanctions on Gaddafi, his family and government officials, including visa bans and asset freezes.
"How can we on one side look at what's going on in Libya, with almost 300 people shot dead, and not talk about sanctions or travel bans for instance for Gaddafi," he said.
Stubb said that it was not up to the EU to change Libya's leader, but the leadership in Tripoli should listen to the people. "And to be quite honest, listening to people doesn't mean you should be using a machine gun," he said.
Ministers from Britain, France, Germany and Italy expressed alarm at the violence and concern about the possibility of an influx of illegal migrants from North Africa after Libya's threat last week to stop cooperation in stemming the flow.
British Foreign Secretary William Hague called on the Libyan authorities to ensure proper protection for foreign nationals and assistance for those trying to leave the country.
Britain also said dependants of its embassy staff would fly home after demonstrations against Muammar Gaddafi's 42-year rule spread to the capital Tripoli.
A draft of a statement to be agreed by ministers from the EU's 27 member states condemned the repression of protests that has killed more than 200 people.
It said the council of EU states "deplores the violence and the death of civilians", and added: "Freedom of expression and the right to assemble peacefully are fundamental rights of every human being which must be respected and protected."
Finnish Foreign Minister Alexander Stubb said the European Union should consider sanctions on Gaddafi, his family and government officials, including visa bans and asset freezes.
"How can we on one side look at what's going on in Libya, with almost 300 people shot dead, and not talk about sanctions or travel bans for instance for Gaddafi," he said.
Stubb said that it was not up to the EU to change Libya's leader, but the leadership in Tripoli should listen to the people. "And to be quite honest, listening to people doesn't mean you should be using a machine gun," he said.





















