Friday
February 8, 2013
Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Mubarak says will not run for presidency again

Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak said he would step down in a few months once a successor is elected, a move that responds to massive street protests but which may not satisfy many who want him out now.

A million people, maybe more, rallied across the country earlier in the day, clamouring for an end to the 30-year-rule of the former general who has towered over Middle East politics.

In Cairo's Tahrir or Liberation, Square, there was cheering after the 82-year-old leader's pugnacious broadcast on state television but also questioning about whether a transition of many months will be something the opposition will agree to.

"Leave, leave!" came the chant, showing Mubarak's defiant insistence on serving out his fifth term did not go down well.

Looking calm in suit and tie, he said: "I say in all honesty and regardless of the current situation, that I did not intend to nominate myself for a new presidential term. I've spent enough years of my life in the service of Egypt and its people.

"I am now absolutely determined to finish my work for the nation in a way that ensures handing over its safekeeping and banner ... preserving its legitimacy and respecting the constitution ... I will work in the remaining months of my term to take the steps to ensure peaceful transfer of power."

Mubarak has lost the support of key ally the United States, which has pushed hard for him to make way for a democratic handover, at least come September's scheduled presidential election. He also appeared to lose wholehearted backing from the army, which has said protesters' demands are "legitimate." But his appeal to the nation of 80 million seemed designed to reach over the heads of the young, urban dissidents gathered in city centres to the wider population fearful of change and chaos. He accused opponents of being behind looting and disorder in the past week and recalled his military career as a defender of Egypt in war, saying he would not leave the country.

Unrest is stirring in other Arab countries like Jordan and Yemen, sending oil prices higher on fears of trouble in Saudi Arabia and on Egypt's Suez Canal.

King Abdullah of Jordan replaced his prime minister following protests.

Egypt's opposition, embracing the banned Islamist group the Muslim Brotherhood, Christians, intellectuals and others, began to coalesce around the figure of Mohamed ElBaradei, a Nobel Peace laureate for his work as head of the UN nuclear agency.

ElBaradei said Mubarak must leave Egypt before the reformist opposition would start talks with the government on the future of the Arab world's most populous nation. His supporters spoke of forming a broad-based "board of trustees" to draft constitutional reforms and oversee free elections.

"There can be dialogue but it has to come after the demands of the people are met and the first of those is that President Mubarak leaves," ElBaradei told Al Arabiya television.

 

 

  • CommentComment
  • Increase font size Decrease font sizeSize
  • Email article
    email
  • Print
    Print
  • Share
    1. Vote
    2. Not interesting Little interesting Interesting Very interesting Indispensable
Tags:  mubarak  egypt  president  election  september  


  • Comment
  • Increase font size Decrease font size
  • mail
  • Print

COMMENTS >

Comment



Grupo ámbito ámbito financiero ambito.com Docsalud AlRugby.com Premium ávp El Ciudadano El Tribuno Management

Director: Orlando Mario Vignatti - Edition No. 3675 - This publication is a property of NEFIR S.A. - Issn 1852 - 9224 - Te. 4349-1500 - Paseo Colón 1196, (C1063ACY) CABA