October 22, 2014
Davis Cup match between Israel, Argentina will not be played in Tel Aviv
The Davis Cup play-offs between Argentina and Israel will not take place in Tel Aviv as it was planned for September 12-14 due to the ongoing armed conflict in Gaza, the International Tennis Federation (ITF) announced.
The ruling body that organises the men's team competition said that "while the [Gaza] military conflict seemed to be slowing down, there was no certainty that this would be the case at the time of the tie that is due to take place in five weeks".
The Davis Cup committee said in a statement it "felt that its first priority was to ensure the safety of the players, officials and the public, and regretfully decided that the tie would not be held in Israel as originally scheduled."
Israel has been given until next Thursday to nominate an alternative venue to host the Sept. 12-14 tie. Venues in eastern Europe, the United States or Canada are seen as possible options, a spokeswoman for the Israeli Tennis Association said.
Argentina’s team is to face Israel in the World Group play-offs to avoid being relegated from the Davis Cup World Group. Israel, in turn, 19th in the ranking, is aiming to return to the World Group after a one-year absence.
On Monday, the inaugural $1 million ATP Israel Open that had been scheduled to be held in Tel Aviv was cancelled by the governing body of men's tennis because of the Gaza conflict.
The ATP World Tour 250 event, which was due to take place from Sept. 15-21, would have been the first high-profile men's tournament to be held in Israel since 1996.
European soccer's governing body, UEFA, last month barred Israeli clubs involved in continental competitions from hosting matches on home soil, and they have been moved to Cyprus.