Tuesday
September 23, 2014

Campo de mayo doctor

Friday, August 1, 2014

House arrest for repressor Bianco

By Santiago Del Carril
Herald Staff
The Campo de Mayo military hospital maternity chief during the last military dictatorship, Norberto Atilio Bianco, was authorized to be held under house arrest while he waits to be put on trial for his participation in the illegal appropriation of children born to prisoners, the Grandmothers of Plaza Mayo denounced yesterday.

“This is an embarrassment, I remember when I was president of the grandmothers he had escaped and fled to Paraguay... We’ve fought for so many years for this and now this happens,” the organization’s founder, María Isabel “Chicha” Chorobik de Mariani told the Herald.

The military doctor had been a fugitive in Paraguay for 10 years and was extradited in 1997 back to Argentina. He has already been charged for the illegal appropriation of two children and is awaiting trial for various others.

According to the Grandmothers of Plaza de Mayo secretary Abel Madariaga, this was an operation by a group of judges who sympathized with the former military government.

“They are taking advantage of the winter judicial recess to make this decision... We are requesting an impeachment against the court,” the secretary told the Herald.

Bianco was in charge of the military hospital where Madariaga’s significant other had given birth before she was executed. His son was snatched by the military. Francisco Madariaga Quintela recovered his real identity four years ago.

The ruling was issued by the recess court led by judges Jorge Getta, Claudio Gutiérrez de la Cárcova and Miguel Pons. The human rights organization highlighted that Pons should be excused from ruling in human rights violations cases from the last military dictatorship since he has a family member who participated in the crimes.

The special judicial recess court was alleged to have taken advantage of their temporary jurisdiction over the case to review a request made previously by Bianco’s defence attorney. The special court authorized Bianco’s request despite it having been denied by the criminal court that normally had jurisdiction over the case.

The new trial against Bianco was supposed to begin last July 2, but was suspended after two judges were recused by the defendants, medical doctors who served at the military garrison of Campo de Mayo.

@delcarril

  • Increase font size Decrease font sizeSize
  • Email article
    email
  • Print
    Print
  • Share
    1. Vote
    2. Not interesting Little interesting Interesting Very interesting Indispensable






  • Increase font size Decrease font size
  • mail
  • Print




Grupo ámbito ámbito financiero ambito.com Docsalud AlRugby.com Premium El Ciudadano El Tribuno Management

Director: Orlando Mario Vignatti - Edition No. 4260 - This publication is a property of NEFIR S.A. -RNPI Nº 5177376 - Issn 1852 - 9224 - Te. 4349-1500 - San Juan 141 , (C1063ACY) CABA