Israel, Gaza militants agree to a 12-hour truce
Israel and Palestinian militant groups in the Gaza Strip have agreed to a UN requested 12 hour humanitarian truce to begin on Saturday morning, and efforts to secure a long-term cease-fire moved ahead.
Israel's military said it would hold fire starting at 8 am (0500 GMT) but would continue searching for tunnels used by militants. A spokesman for the Islamist group Hamas, which is dominant in the Gaza Strip, said all Palestinian factions would abide by the brief truce.
Fighting continued overnight as US Secretary of State John Kerry, on a visit to the region, has been spearheading international efforts to end 19 days of fighting.
Gaza officials said five people were killed in Israeli air strikes, bringing the Palestinian death toll to 865, most of them civilians.
Earlier, militants fired a barrage of rockets out of Gaza, triggering sirens across much of southern and central Israel. No injuries were reported, with the Iron Dome interceptor system knocking out many of the missiles.
Israel today rejected international proposals for a more permanent ceasefire, a government source said, but Kerry, speaking in Cairo, said no formal proposals had yet been put forward.
The top US diplomat said there were still disagreements on the terminology, but he was confident there was a framework that would ultimately succeed and that "serious progress" had been made, although there was more work to do.
Truce efforts will continue in Paris on Saturday when France hosts diplomats from the United States, Britain, Germany, Italy, the European Union, Turkey and Qatar, a French diplomatic source said.
Hamas wants an end to an Israeli-Egyptian blockade of Gaza before agreeing to halt hostilities. Israeli officials said any cease-fire must allow the military to carry on hunting down Hamas's tunnel network that criss-crosses the Gaza border.
Israel said three more of its soldiers were killed in Gaza on Friday, bringing the army death toll to 35, as troops battled militants in the north, east and south of Gaza - a tiny Mediterranean enclave that is home to 1.8 million Palestinians.
It also announced that a soldier unaccounted for after an ambush in Gaza six days ago was definitely dead, although his body had not been recovered. Hamas said on Sunday it had captured the man but did not release a photograph of him.