August 1, 2014
After a juror’s resignationSunday, July 6, 2014
Court defines tomorrow Campagnoli trial’s future
In a further sign that the impeachment trial against suspended prosecutor José María Campagnoli is likely to collapse, the president of the tribunal yesterday announced that tomorrow the court will have to decide the future of the jury.
Prosecutor Daniel Adler told Radio América yesterday that in light of juror María Cristina Martínez Córdoba’s resignation after taking a leave of absence and the swearing-in of her replacement Nicolás Toselli on Friday, the trial’s continuation would be subject to “all of the variables.”
Adler said that a decision needed to be made because the trial has been suspended for more than ten days.
Court sources confirmed to the Herald that the six remaining members of the court have been permanently in touch amongst themselves. Tomorrow they will be meeting attended by Toselli for the first time.
Various sources agree that the most workable alternative will be to hold a new trial, especially to avoid challenges and appeals once a decision is issued. Should Campagnoli have been removed from his position as the head of the Saavedra neighbourhood decentralized unit, he would have been able to file an appeal before the Administrative Appeals Court and then take the case to the Supreme Court.
If a new trial is carried out, it will have to take place before October, when the charges against Campagnoli expire. Last week, Campagnoli’s lawyers Ignacio Irigaray and Ricardo Gil Lavedra filed a request before the tribunal headed by Adler, saying that due to the irregularities in the proceeding Campagnoli should be reinstated.
Herald with online media