Tuesday
September 30, 2014
Saturday, June 14, 2014

D’Elía indicted for disorder

Luis D’Elía heads a demonstration on March 25, 2008.

Judge dismisses Kirchnerite activists claim of coup

The courts gave yet another headache to Kirchnerism yesterday when Judge Julián Ercolini indicted Kirchnerite activist Luis D’Elía for causing public disorder during a demonstration in March 2008, when pro-farming sectors were protesting against the Resolution 125 issued by the government to establish taxes for grains exports.

According to the magistrate, D’Elía arrived at Plaza de Mayo with a group of people to oppose a demonstration that was being held by farmers. D’Elía led a counter-protest and punched farmer Alejandro Gahan.

D’Elía is facing charges of causing public disorder and inspiring public fear. Those crimes can have a penalty of three-to-six years in prison.

Judge Ercolini took into account several testimonies delivered by people who were taking part in the demonstration against the Kirchnerite administration. The magistrate also cited in his ruling Clarín media group journalist Sandra Borghi, who was reporting at the scene.

“He was with around 200 people and there was a group of thugs protecting him,” the journalist said. Borghi was criticized for her reporting that day because she repeatedly separated “the people (pro-farming sectors) from the picket protesters.”

Ercolini has repeatedly come under fire by the Kirchnerite administration for the way he is leading the investigation of the controversial sale of Papel Prensa, the country’s main newsprint manufacturer, during the last dictatorship.

The Kirchnerite administration filed a criminal complaint in 2010 saying that the sale was carried out along with crimes against humanity suffered by members of the Graiver Group that owned the company that was then bought by Clarín, La Nación and La Razón.

In the ruling issued yesterday, Ercolini dismissed D’Elía’s version. The Kirchnerite activist — who last week was seen at the Government House when President Cristina Fernández de Kirchner announced a pension moratorium — said that he arrived at Plaza de Mayo to prevent a coup against the president.

Ercolini says there was no risk of a coup, noting that the protest sought to express disagreement for Resolution 125. D’Elía also made reference during his questioning to Cecilia Pando’s presence in Plaza de Mayo but that could not be taken as evidence of an attempted coup. Pando is well-known supporter of military officers who were responsible for serious human rights crimes during the last dictatorship. The judge also considered that the claims members of the armed or security forces were in Plaza de Mayo waiting to launch an attack against the government was also groundless.

Herald staff

  • Increase font size Decrease font sizeSize
  • Email article
    email
  • Print
    Print
  • Share
    1. Vote
    2. Not interesting Little interesting Interesting Very interesting Indispensable






  • Increase font size Decrease font size
  • mail
  • Print




Grupo ámbito ámbito financiero ambito.com Docsalud AlRugby.com Premium El Ciudadano El Tribuno Management

Director: Orlando Mario Vignatti - Edition No. 4267 - This publication is a property of NEFIR S.A. -RNPI Nº 5177376 - Issn 1852 - 9224 - Te. 4349-1500 - San Juan 141 , (C1063ACY) CABA