August 29, 2014
Boudou probe to continue
The Federal Criminal Cassation Court yesterday ordered to continue with the investigation of Vice-President Amado Boudou for his role in the sale of the former Ciccone Calcográfica mint company, which prints the country’s peso bills.
It marked the second adverse ruling in 24 hours for the Kirchnerite administration, after the Criminal Appeals Court considered unconstitutional the Memorandum of Understanding signed by Foreign Minister Héctor Timerman and his Iranian counterpart to investigate the AMIA Jewish community centre bombing in 1994.
Boudou’s lawyer, Diego Pirota, vowed to take the case to the Supreme Court but for the time being, the probe against Boudou will continue.
Boudou is accused of having inappropriately helped Ciccone Calcográfica lift its bankruptcy when he was Economy minister in 2010 through a beneficial payment plan so that the company could be transferred to an investment fund allegedly linked to the vice-president. There are also suspicions that the company was then favoured with contracts from the national government.
The Court No. 4 of the Cassation Court, made up by Gustavo Hornos, Juan Carlos Gemignani and Mariano Borinsky, yesterday considered that the request filed by Boudou’s lawyer to discontinue the probe could not be accepted.
Borinsky — who currently heads the Cassation Court — said Boudou’s request had to be allowed, issuing a ruling in agreement with Javier De Luca, the prosecutor before the Cassation Court.
De Luca told the Herald that he was not going to appeal the resolution, although the ruling did not concur with his opinion. De Luca is not the prosecutor in charge of the investigation and was only taking part in the discussion over a request filed by Boudou’s lawyer to revoke a ruling from the Criminal Appeals Court.
For Hornos, Boudou has not explained how he can be affected by the investigation.
“The institutional significance of the case urges completion of the investigation with the issue of a resolution regarding the heart of the matter,” said Hornos, making it clear that this case has to be examined in court without further delay.
For his part, Gemignani made reference to the recent episodes of collective violence against alleged criminals.
“Irresponsible prosecution can lead to anarchy. Thus citizens can legitimately take up the defence of their rights and that can lead to disastrous consequences,” Gemignani added.
Yesterday’s was the third adverse judicial resolution against Boudou in federal courts. Judge Ariel Lijo had previously refused to discontinue the investigation, a decision that was then confirmed by the City’s Federal Appeals Court.
Herald staff with DyN