Monday
September 22, 2014
Friday, May 16, 2014

Venezuela: ‘Protests will end in July’

Venezuela’s Interior Minister Miguel Rodríguez Torres talks during an interview with Reuters in Caracas yesterday. Venezuela’s three-month protest movement has dwindled to a hard core of a few hundred violent troublemakers and the unrest should be snuffed out by July, Rodríguez said.
By Andrew Cawthorne & Diego Ore
Reuters (*)
Interior minister says demonstrators are now just a small group of troublemakers

CARACAS — Venezuela’s three-month protest movement has dwindled to a hard core of a few hundred violent troublemakers and the unrest should be snuffed out by July, a top security official said.

Interior Minister Miguel Rodríguez, who has been the public face of the government crackdown on demonstrators, told Reuters authorities were focused on about 100 radical opponents in Caracas and 100-200 elsewhere around the nation.

“They’re changing the tactics of subversion,” the 50-year-old army major-general said, pausing to take phone calls about the latest arrests on the streets of Caracas.

“First it was massive (marches), then street barricades, then tents. Now’s it’s very focused — they burn a vehicle or a ministry, they attack an official,” said Rodríguez, who last week participated in a 3am raid on protest camps.

The socialist government has cast the protest movement as a US-supported coup plan, while foes say months of marches and clashes are the product of economic hardship and repression.

Numbers have dropped in recent weeks, but a rump of masked youth activists still take to the streets near-daily. Forty-two people have died in Venezuela’s worst unrest in a decade.

Rodríguez, a friend of late leader Hugo Chávez, has become a hate figure for activists who view him as a ruthless enforcer.

Rights groups have accused National Guard troops and police of using excessive force, and sometimes torture, in the round-up of nearly 3,000 people since early February.

Though the government has acknowledged some abuses and 12 officials are detained, it says security forces have in fact been restrained in the face of extreme provocation including gunmen and demonstrators using petrol bombs and stones.

“We’re never going to use extreme violence to finish off these protests,” Rodríguez said, predicting, however, that the streets would be calm again by July when schools and universities break up for the summer holidays.

Many Venezuelans, though, believe sporadic protests will continue so long as the causes — rampant violent crime, soaring consumer prices and a scarcity of basic goods — continue.

False impresion of brutality

Officials say rights groups and opposition media have given a false impression of brutality against innocent protesters, whereas there have also been fatalities on the government side.

“They shot a policeman in the neck. They slit the throat of a motorbike-rider,” he said, referring to an incident in which protesters strung a cable across a road. “A small section of society has gone crazy, lost respect for life.”

Rodríguez alleges local activists are the spearhead of an international conspiracy to topple President Nicolás Maduro.

That has brought denials from the US State Department and others named, and mockery from opposition leaders who have dubbed him the “bumbling detective” or a Venezuelan version of “Agent 86” from a 1960s US comedy show satirizing spies.

Herald with Reuters

@diegore22
  • Increase font size Decrease font sizeSize
  • Email article
    email
  • Print
    Print
  • Share
    1. Vote
    2. Not interesting Little interesting Interesting Very interesting Indispensable






  • Increase font size Decrease font size
  • mail
  • Print




Grupo ámbito ámbito financiero ambito.com Docsalud AlRugby.com Premium El Ciudadano El Tribuno Management

Director: Orlando Mario Vignatti - Edition No. 4259 - This publication is a property of NEFIR S.A. -RNPI Nº 5177376 - Issn 1852 - 9224 - Te. 4349-1500 - San Juan 141 , (C1063ACY) CABA