September 19, 2014
40,000-peso reward offered for data on New Zealand tourist crime
Mendoza province authorities were offering a 40,000-peso reward in a bid to solve the murder of a tourist from New Zealand who was shot to death during a robbery in the provincial capital yesterday.
First reports had said Nicholas Hugh Heyward was from Australia but it has now been confirmed the 31-year-old was from New Zealand.
Following the testimony of witnesses who were with Heyward at the time of the attack, police was focusing the investigation on two 20-year-olds. Mendoza police chief Juan Carlos Caleri, however, said there was yet no trail of the suspects.
“Regarding the authors of the crime, we have nothing, there is no information that could allow us to identify and detain the authors so far and we wait for the help of citizens,” Caleri told reporters this morning explaining the special attorney in charge of the case and the Security Ministry have decided to offer a reward of 40,000 pesos for those providing “precise” information on the tragic event.
Heyward was walking through a park near the Thays provincial Avenue with two other tourists yesterday, when two people on a motorbike approached the group, allegedly seeking to steal the victim’s bag. The man was reported to have resisted the attack and, in the midst of a struggle over the bag, fell to the ground. As the attackers rode away on their motorbike, they then opened fire on him and killed.