November 23, 2017

17-year-old had been hospitalized for three days

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Junín schoolgirl dies after beating

A 17-year-old girl died Sunday evening in the Buenos Aires province locality of Junín after she was brutally beaten by three woman in what looks like a case of school-yard bullying.

Naira Cofreces had been hospitalized in the intensive care unit of the Abraham Piñeyro de Junín Hospital for three days when she died Sunday night.

The teenager was hospitalized after she was beaten by three females last Wednesday as she left school, at the entrance of the facility, and received wounds all across her body after they kicked and punched her repeatedly.

The younger two attackers — aged 17 and 22 — are classmates of the victim, while the 29-year-old woman involved in the attack had been a student at the school and is the sister of the 22-year-old.

According to statements by students of the Nocturnal Secondary School No. 5 that were given to the Junín judge investigating the case, María Laura Durante, the target of the attack, was said to be a friend of Cofreces. However, since the girl — who was criticized for “playing the pretty girl and turning up to school better dressed,” according to Durante — did not attend class last Wednesday, the three suspects turned on Cofreces, allegedly because of their close relationship.

Cofreces’ mother, Nancy, yesterday called for “justice” for her daughter and said the attackers had “ruined” her life.

“I want justice because they’ve destroyed me, they’ve ruined me, they’ve done away with my life,” she said, hours after the death of her daughter.

“She had been fine. She told us what happened and said ‘it wasn’t at me,’ but then she didn’t wake up,” she added.

Cofreces has been suffering severe headaches in the days after the attack and prior to her three days in hospital.

She had been taken to her home by family members on Wednesday, where she rested and took a pain-killer prior to going to sleep. When she awoke the next day, Cofreces complained of a strong headache and was admitted to hospital on Thursday and underwent two surgeries.

“A tomography was carried out and there was a large hematoma on the left hemisphere of the brain, leading to the decision to operate on her,” said hospital director Carlos Carbe, suspecting in comments made to AFP that her death was a result of the delay in her reaching the hospital.

Police are treating the case as a homicide.

Herald with AFP, Télam

  • Increase font size Decrease font sizeSize
  • Email article
  • Print
  • Share
    1. Vote
    2. Not interesting Little interesting Interesting Very interesting Indispensable

  • Increase font size Decrease font size
  • mail
  • Print

    ámbito financiero    Docsalud    

Edition No. 5055 - This publication is a property of NEFIR S.A. -RNPI Nº 5343955 - Issn 1852 - 9224 - Te. 4349-1500 - San Juan 141 , (C1063ACY) CABA - Director Perdiodístico: Ricardo Daloia