September 30, 2014
Soccer - Domestic LeagueSaturday, April 26, 2014
‘Independiente is ready for a change’
President Keblaitis and Moyano’s group sign agreement
After a month of toing and froing, Independiente officials and Hugo Moyano’s Agrupación Independiente party signed the agreement to give economic support to the club to pay the players’ and employees’ salaries.
Independiente caretaker President Claudio Keblaitis said yesterday that officials and the other representatives signed an agreement to give some economic support to the club, which is going through probably its worst financial and sport crisis in its history.
The main item of the agreement says that the group “Agrupación Independiente”, led by CGT Trade Unión chief Hugo Moyano, will give 10 million pesos to the club to pay the players, coaching staff and employees salaries from February to June.
“Thank God it’s all over. Finally we signed after a month of toing and froing. We all agreed to accept the economic support from Agrupación Independiente and we signed the agreement. We are ready for a change,” said Keblaitis in front of the Argentine Football Association (AFA) office yesterday. “We want to bring some peace to the club and calm down the fans. Now, the idea is to work all together and announce only one list in the next elections, something new in the history of Independiente.”
Among the signatories, however, was not Noray Nakis, who competed in the elections of 2008 and 2011, because Agrupación Independiente did not want him included in the deal.
Apparently, the club officials did not want to sign before because there were rumours that Moyano wanted to have full control of the soccer team. “One member of each party will participate (in the soccer management),” added Keblaitis.
Moyano’s son, Pablo, said that his father will not put the 10 million pesos from his pocket.
“Moyano is not going to put the money. He will contact some businesspeople and club members to help Independiente with 10 million pesos to pay the salaries to the players and employees,” said Pablo Mo-yano.
A general election and the renewal of the club’s upper management authorities will be held from July 6 to August 1.
Javier Cantero, criticized by fans for its disappointing campaign in the National B Division after being relegated for the first time in its history last year, resigned as the club’s president on Wednesday, two days after the team’s stunning 3-1 defeat against Crucero del Norte.
Independiente had a poor second round in the second division and is fifth in the standings with 50 points. The first three will be promoted to the First Division. Banfield leads with 62, while Defensa y Justicia is in second place with 60. There are still eight rounds left.
Herald with agencies