December 19, 2014
World CupWednesday, April 2, 2014
New safety measures at Itaquerao stadium
Brazilian organizers added new safety rails yesterday trying to reverse the order from labour officials to stop the construction of the Itaquerao stadium after a worker died on Saturday in the stadium that will host the World Cup opener.
SAO PAULO — Brazilian organizers are adding safety features where a worker died in the stadium hosting the World Cup opener, hoping to quickly reverse an order that halted construction in part of the venue.
The addition of new safety rails yesterday comes a day after labour officials said the installation of 20,000 temporary seats at the Itaquerao stadium could not continue until safety concerns were addressed. On Saturday, a 23-year-old worker died after falling from about 26 feet (8 metres) while installing the seats needed for the opener.
Fast Engenharia, the company in charge of the temporary structures, was yet to release information about a new construction timetable for the stadium, which was already delayed.
The company said in a statement that it was preparing a report to show labour officials that all the necessary measures had been implemented. It said the report would be delivered by the end of the day yesterday.
The company, which reiterated that all of its safety measures were in accordance with Brazilian regulations, said that after the analysis of the report it expected construction to “resume immediately so it could deliver the work by the established deadline.”
Before the accident, FIFA expected the venue to be ready about a month ahead of the June 12 opening match between Brazil and Croatia.
Sao Paulo’s vice mayor didn’t expect the work stoppage to cause significant delays to the stadium’s construction, saying the installation of the temporary seats was a “relatively simple job.”
“It’s not a complex situation,” Nadia Campeao told Radio Estadao. “Even if work is stopped for a few days so the recommended adjustments can be made, it shouldn’t alter the final timetable.”
FIFA and the local World Cup organizing committee released a statement downplaying the delay caused by the work interruption, which they called “standard procedure when accidents of this nature occur.”
“FIFA and the LOC support any efforts to improve workers safety by the authorities,” the statement said. “Given the advanced state of the assembling of the temporary stands, we believe that the schedule for delivery of these areas will not be impacted.”
A labour ministry official in Sao Paulo said the construction stoppage was needed to eliminate the risk of another death.
“If there are no additional safety measures, the work can’t continue,” Luiz Antonio de Medeiros told the Agencia Estado news service. “There was not enough protection, it was irresponsible.”
Fast Engenharia has denied any wrongdoing and said the worker had all required safety equipment available to him at the time of the accident.
Investigators said an initial probe showed the worker didn’t connect himself to a safety cable. According to witness accounts, he said he only had a “quick thing” to finish at the site. Medeiros said additional safety measures could have prevented the death even if the worker wasn’t connected to his safety cable.
The safety rails were being added around areas where workers installed the temporary seats.
FIFA and the local World Cup organizing committee did not immediately answer requests for comments on the work stoppage.
Construction was already behind schedule at the Itaquerao stadium because of the damage caused by another accident that killed two workers following a crane collapse in late November. A giant roofing structure fell on part of the stadium’s facade, significantly pushing back the stadium’s date of completion.
The stadium, being built by popular Brazilian club Corinthians, is expected to cost about 490 million dollars. In addition to the opener, it will host three group matches, one second-round game and one of the semifinals.