November 22, 2014
Tied to drug traffickingFriday, March 14, 2014
Santa Fe Security minister receives new death threats
In another demonstration of the rising influence of druglords in Santa Fe, provincial Security Minister Rául Lamberto said yesterday that he and one of his secretaries had received new death threats and that a ministerial vehicle had been pursued on the Rosario-Santa Fe highway.
“We received threats on my phone and that of Security Secretary Matías Drivet, serious threats demanding that unidentified persons not be investigated any more,” the minister said.
Reports suggested that the messages also contained private information about the family members of the officials.
Authorities in Santa Fe attributed the new threats to the investigations into local drug trafficking gangs, which have intensified in the last few months.
Patterns of threats and attacks
One of the messages received by Lamberto made reference to the “14 shots” fired against the Rosario home of Santa Fe Governor Antonio Bonfatti in October and the murder of suspected druglord Luis Medina on December 29 2013.
“These events are always worrying, because behind these anonymous figures there are violent attacks that not only affect us but also the entire society,” said Lamberto before adding that “the perpetrators have taken responsibility for the attacks against the governor and the death of Luis Medina.”
Lamberto and Drivet had already been through a similar situation in September 2013 shortly after the investigation into the murder of druglord Claudio “Pájaro” Cantero. Both received phone calls and text messages announcing that the travel patterns of the officials and their families were known.
In addition, Lamberto said that a black Volkswagen Bora “followed” an official vehicle that Secretary Drivet usually uses along the Santa Fe-Rosario highways. The trailing vehicle “would accelerate or slow down in unison with the official vehicle.”
The minister also said that the license plate for the car was later checked, revealing that it had been stolen in Mendoza. The incident occurred on Wednesday morning near the town of Arocena.
“This is an event that especially deserves to be investigated and analyzed,” Lamberto continued.
The minister and his secretary yesterday submitted a formal complaint to the respective prosecutor’s offices in Rosario and Santa Fe, where Drivet resides.
“We hope that the investigation determines who is responsible, because I believe this is the sixth threat.”
Herald with Télam