October 2, 2014
BA province gov't sets new wage meeting with teachers
Buenos Aires province Cabinet Chief Alberto Pérez has instructed the Labour Ministry to call unionized teachers to the negotiating table on Tuesday 11, in a move to de-escalate the salary conflict hitting Argentina’s most populated district.
“We hope to reach an agreement with union representatives and that classes begin on Monday,” Pérez said in a message to teachers that launched a 72-hour strike halting the beginning of the school year this week.
Education unions’ leaders, however, had warned earlier today that the walkout will continue on Monday if the administration of Governor Daniel Scioli did not improve the 25-percent salary bid.
“Last week we rejected a salary offer by the Buenos Aires province (government). They called us again on Tuesday (this week) and they made the same offer, an increase of 25 percent to be made in three payments,” SUTEBA union General Secretary Roberto Baradel told reporters this morning.