Accused marathon bomber Tsarnaev could face death penalty
Accused Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev should be put to death if he is found guilty of planting bombs that killed three people and wounded 264 last year, the US government's chief prosecutor said.
US Attorney General Eric Holder said in a statement that he was authorizing trial prosecutors to seek the death penalty against Tsarnaev, who is charged with committing one of the largest attacks on US soil since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.
"The nature of the conduct at issue and the resultant harm compel this decision," Holder said.
Holder faced a Friday deadline for deciding whether to seek the death penalty as part of Tsarnaev's upcoming trial.
Prosecutors say that Tsarnaev, 20, and his 26-year-old brother Tamerlan planted a pair of homemade pressure-cooker bombs at the race's crowded finish line on April 15, 2013, killing three people and wounding 264.
Three nights later, the pair killed a university police officer and later engaged in a shootout with police that left Tamerlan dead, prosecutors say.
The younger Tsarnaev pleaded not guilty to criminal charges in the worst mass-casualty attack on US soil since 9/11. Justice Department officials said the nearly seven months since was necessary to evaluate fully the circumstances of the case and to gather recommendations from prosecutors advising Holder.
Holder has said he is not a proponent of the death penalty because he believes its value as a deterrent is questionable, but since becoming attorney general in 2009, he has authorized prosecutors to seek the death penalty in 36 cases, according to the Justice Department.