December 27, 2014
Maduro accuses media of promoting violenceSaturday, January 18, 2014
Venezuelan government to review TV programming
CARACAS — Television programming from both public and private channels will be reviewed by the Venezuelan government starting on Monday, after President Nicolás Maduro accused the media of promoting violence and “anti-values.”
The announcement was made yesterday by the country’s Communications Minister, Delcy Rodríguez, after a meeting with representatives of the National Telecommunications Commission.
“We’ve agreed to have a big work day on Monday with all the TV channels — public, private and cable — to define a schedule that allows us to eventually make a proposal to the president,” she said.
Rodríguez also announced the creation of a “committee to promote the new Venezuelan television,” which was also ordered by Maduro.
The minister said that the meeting’s goal will be “to advance and overcome television models” that are allegedly “promoting anti-values” in Venezuela. She also said that legal aspects concerning content will be discussed with the channels’ representatives and that, if it is necessary, the government will seek changes to the Social Responsibility in Radio and Television Law.
On Wednesday, during his first annual address before Congress, Maduro called on television channels to build “a new culture to overcome the anti-values of death (...) being transmitted by the media.”
The murder of a high-profile actress and her husband last week shook Venezuelans and forced Maduro to meet with his Cabinet and even some members of the opposition to try to placate insecurity concerns. The president also announced a Cabinet reshuffle.
According to official figures, more than 11,000 people were murdered in Venezuela last year — 5,000 less than during 2012 — but the Venezuelan Violence Watchdog, an NGO, says homicides were close to 25,000.