March 8, 2014
CFK to run in 2015, says FpV leader
Kirchnerite lawmaker Carlos Kunkel nods at possible senatorial bid by head of state
Victory Front (FpV) lawmaker Carlos Kunkel yesterday said President Cristina Fernández de Kirchner will run as a candidate in the 2015 general elections.
“Still in politics and running as candidate,” the Kirchnerite congressman replied when private news agency DyN asked him where he pictured the head of state in two years’ time.
Kunkel did not say, however, what office she would be running for.
“Ask me again in 18 months,” he said.
Fernández de Kirchner has never openly supported the idea of amending the National Constitution to run for a third presidential term, although staunch Kirchnerite ally Diana Conti has said in the past her intention was to do so.
CFK herself ruled out the possibility last year, before the chance disappeared completely, following the poor results in the October 27 midterms.
Kunkel’s hint may indicate the president may run as a senatorial candidate — after all, CFK has represented two different provinces (Santa Cruz and Buenos Aires) in the Upper House.
The lawmaker is known for revealing key movements of the national government. He was, for instance, the leader who anticipated that Fernández de Kirchner would run as president in 2007, when she succeeded her husband, the late Néstor Kirchner.
Kunkel also anticipated that the ruling party is going to hold the long-delayed Justicialist Party (PJ) primaries next March and sent an indirect message to Buenos Aires province Governor Daniel Scioli, who has already announced his desire to succeed Fernández de Kirchner in 2015.
The lawmaker said he favoured a “unity ticket” for both the party primaries of March, 2014 and the general primaries of August, 2015 — meaning the national government wants Scioli to run for the same ticket as CFK.
“Cristina (Fernández de Kirchner) will listen to everyone and then she will define the ticket based on what has been presented to her. I don’t see any other way of doing it.”
However, Kunkel excluded Renewal Front leader Sergio Massa from the competition.
“Those who are inside (the Peronist party) may run, but those who left will have to discuss with (PRO party leader Mauricio) Macri,” he expressed.
“If anyone has changed his mind, that’s fine. But they should go to the end of the line.”
Scioli is technically a Kirchnerite but has been at odds with the federal government during the last few years, ending on opposite sides over a series of differences which the governor calls “of style.”
After a series of comings and goings, the BA province leader finally re-aligned with the FpV shortly before the June 22 deadline to register electoral tickets. But he has not resigned his presidential aspirations.
‘Scioli, De la Sota, Massa’
Pablo Moyano, son of the anti-government CGT umbrella union leader Hugo Moyano and second-in-line in the powerful teamsters’ union, also had something to say about the next presidential elections.
“Peronist candidates for 2015 are Scioli, (Córdoba province Governor José Manuel) De la Sota and Massa,” he said yesterday.
He said the opposition CGT would likely support any of those three candidates in the upcoming elections.
“Any leader who attends the demands of the CGT regarding health insurance, income tax, pension increases and free wage bargaining will have our support,” Moyano told DyN.
In this year’s elections, Moyano supported dissident Peronist Francisco de Narváez, leader of the Unión Celeste y Blanco front, who garnered less than five percent of the vote in the Buenos Aires province.
The only Unión Celeste y Blanco lawmakers who entered Congress were De Narváez himself and Omar Plaini, head of the newspaper salesmen union and a former FpV representative.
Hugo Moyano even flirted with Massa days before the Tigre leader beat Kirchnerite candidate Martín Insaurralde in the midterms — but his idea is not to rely on a single Peronist contender.
In fact, weeks ago the teamsters’ leader met with Scioli with the excuse of discussing waste management issues.
CFK in Santa Cruz
Meanwhile, CFK is resting in Santa Cruz province where she will be staying for the holidays with her family.
The head of state is expected to resume her duties in early January.
Yesterday, the president did not send any holiday greetings via social media nor official media outlets.
According to DyN, the president’s intention is to participate in the Mercosur Summit which will take place next January, 17 in Caracas.
If she finally attends the Venezuela summit, it would be her first international trip since last September, when she participated in the United Nations General Assembly.
During the last few weeks, all official rallies were headed by Cabinet Chief Jorge Capitanich.
Herald with DyN