April 25, 2014
Other newsThursday, December 19, 2013
San Lorenzo movie restored
Pope Francis would be proud and might even give his blessing to the team responsible for restoring El cura Lorenzo, the 1954 film directed by Augusto César Vatteone, starring Ángel Magaña and shot at the Estudios Libertador. The movie premiered in Buenos on July 28, 1954, and had a commercial release in Spain under the title Los descarrilados. The restoration coincides with San Lorenzo’s 2013 First Division championship win.
The restoration was made at the Cinecolor laboratory from an original negative purchased in Colombia by former Argentine Film Library (FCA) director Guillermo Fernández Jurado, who also bought more than 70 prints.
El cura Lorenzo is a fictional story about Catholic priest Lorenzo Massa, the man behind the creation of San Lorenzo de Almagro in 1908, with the aim of taking poor children off the streets.
A preview clip from the newly restored film is available on the web: http://vimeo.com/82040904 and http://youtu.be/5oV69M2UJUI.
The film is set in Almagro, depicted in the film as a fringe, crime-ridden neighbourhood of BA. Father Lorenzo (Ángel Magaña), noticing that his small congregation is mostly made up of elderly women, decides to bring children closer to the church through sports. He thus buys them a football, which the children could not afford. Trouble arises as a juvenile gang decides to abort father Lorenzo’s plan.
In real life, it was in January 1907 that a group of youths led by Federico Monti and Antonio Scaramusso played a new game called football, at the intersection of México and Treinta y Tres. This was the origin of the team Los forzosos de Almagro, whose motto was “You have to give it all to win.”