April 18, 2014
Police crisis claims 7 dead across country
The police conflict that is hitting several provinces across the country has already claimed the lives of 7 people, officials confirmed. Two were killed in the provinces of Tucumán and Chaco, while further deaths in Jujuy and Entre Rios added to last week's tragedy in Córdoba.
In the district run by Governor Juan Manuel De la Sota, a 20-year-old was shot to dead and 250 people resulted injured as a result of the looting and thefts that struck the province last week.
In Entre Ríos, commanded by Kirchnerite Sergio Urribarri, local authorities confirmed one person died and 25 resulted injured during violent incidents that took place in the city of Concordia. Urribarri said the victim was “a 22-year-old that had stormed into a white good shop” and electrocuted himself.
Following a protest that ended with people taking over a local police station in the province of Jujuy, a young boy was allegedly stabbed with a bladed weapon during a looting in the city of Perico.
In Chaco, Governor Bacileff Ivanoff reported two dead: 23-year-old Ricardo Romero and deputy superintendent Cristián Vera, both wounded by gunshots. Meanwhile, 10 other people resulted injured.
Doctor at the Zenón Hospital in the Tucumán province Diego Eskinazi addressed media to announce one person died due to a gunshot wound. A 16-year-old adolescent who was driving his motorbike crashed against another. Witnesses said he was participating in the thefts when he got killed. 100 people resulted injured.
Another city that has been affected by the wave of violence and tensions that sparked since provincial police launched a strike to demand a salary hike was Santa Fe but no dead has been fortunately reported yet. The federal government deployed 3,000 gendarmes to the province headed by Governor Antonio Bonfatti.