December 12, 2013
Justice cancels injuction, subway prices to increse
An administrative court judge of Buenos Aires City, Pablo Mántaras, lifted the injunction that had frozen the increase to $3.50 pesos of the subway fare as ordered by the municipal government of Buenos Aires Mayor Mauricio Macri.
Mántaras also urged the BA City administration in his ruling to settle a “social fare” at a lower price for commuters in difficult economic conditions.
After the ruling was issued, BA City Chief Cabinet Horacio Rodríguez Larreta spoke with C5N cable TV news and announced the municipal government will be working during next week on the special “social,” but he did not anticipate how much of discount would be applied.
“Surely, we will come up with a proposal. We will see next week how it should be orchestrated”.
Meanwhile, head of Buenos Aires Subways (SBASE) Juan Pablo Piccardo speaking with El Mundo radio station suggested that, although it was not defined when the new tariff will come into force. But the official said that the special fare for citizens on welfare could be 50 percent lower.
“Today retired and handicapped people don’t pay while public primary and high school students and teachers have an important discount,” Piccardo said.
Mántaras with his ruling brought to an end the injunction that froze Resolution 1798/SBASE/13 after a complaint was filed by City Legislator Alejandro Bodart against the rate hike.
BA City Mayor Mauricio Macri’s administration had previously raised the Subte fare from $1.10 to $2.50 pesos after taking over control of the underground from the national government.
A court court in March ruled in favour of Bodart’s injunction and froze the new increase that was, however, included once again by ruling PRO authorities in 2014 municipal budget’s guidelines.