April 18, 2014
Sarmiento train crashes again; 99 injured, 'no serious cases'
National Security Secretary Sergio Berni had confirmed earlier this morning that 35 people were transferred to nearby hospitals while other 14 commuters suffering injuries managed to get to assistance medical centers by their own means. 'No serious cases," both Berni and the Buenos Aires city Health Minister Graciela Rey Baud assured after visiting the city hospitals.
“We did not yet had to regret any deaths”, Berni told reporters at the Once station.
Meanwhile, the Buenos Aires Health Ministry updated later the list of patients being treated at local hospitals saying injured rates have jumped to 99.
A Sarmiento line train arriving at the Once station crashed against the security fence of the platform at 7.35 am today.
In statements to media, union representative of the Sarmiento line service Edgardo Reynoso said that the train collapsed into the retaining wall “as it happened in February 22”, referring to the Once tragedy that claimed the lives of 51 people and left more than 600 injured last year.
The SAME emergency medical assistance service was reported to arrive inmediately at the station with some commuters been treated outside the station. First groups of injured people were taken to the Ramos Mejía hospital.