December 8, 2013
Massa’s alleged robber to appeal
Questions remain about incident
In what seems to be an election in which security forces have played an unusually large role, the Coast Guard official who broke into Renewal Front leader Sergio Massa’s house is still in custody. But his lawyer is considering filing a request before the Buenos Aires provincial Cassation Court to ask for his release, even as several mysteries remain about the strange robbery in the Tigre mayor’s home.
Coincidentally , security officers took centre stage just days before voters headed to the polls in the August primaries, and again this week before the October 27 midterms with the release of a video that led to controversy over how Victory Front (FpV) candidate Juan Cabandié reacted during a routine traffic stop.
Days before the primaries, the Renewal Front (FR) leader Sergio Massa was in the spotlight after a member of the Coast Guard allegedly broke into the Tigre Mayor’s home, —where he lives with his wife and two children — inside the gated community Isla del Sol in Tigre, Buenos Aires province.
The man allegedly stole 65,000 pesos, a couple of pen drives and necklaces, which have been returned to Massa and his wife, Malena Galmarini.
Political observers have suggested the strange robbery was either an operation planned by Massa to help him in the election or one ordered by the government to damage Massa’s strong image, which is closely tied with crime control in Tigre.
Weeks later, several key questions remain unanswered.
Alcides Díaz Gorgonio, the man who allegedly broke into Massa’s house on July 20, is currently in custody at a San Martín penitentiary unit. He was transferred there from a police station in Pilar where he had been kept for weeks.
Last week, San Isidro Appeals Court rejected the request filed by his lawyer to release him and confirmed the charges of aggravated robbery that he will have to face before the court.
José Luis Galliani — who is representing Díaz Gorgonio — told the Herald he is considering whether to file a request to asses Díaz Gorgonio’s situation and addingthat he did not agree with the indictment.
“What my client is accused of is not, in fact, a jailable offence,” Galliani said but he did not want to speculate on why his client remains behind bars.
There are still many pending questions about the robbery in Massa’s home. It is still unclear unclear if the man filmed breaking into his home had close ties with Massa or if he was an intelligence agent working for the Security Ministry.
Rumours have it that the man would be ready to break his silence within the next few days as the campaign nears its final stretch. However, his lawyer refused to comment on the issue.