December 10, 2013
Movistar and PersonalThursday, September 5, 2013
Mobile phone firms backtrack on rate hike
Mobile phone operators Personal and Movistar yesterday decided to postpone an increase on their monthly rates for most clients of between seven and 12 percent after reaching an agreement with the Communication Secretariat.
“Movistar has agreed with the Communication Secretariat to postpone price increases that had been previously announced. It was a seven percent raise for some of our clients with contracts,” the company said.
Personal also confirmed the decision, saying the company “is working together with the authorities to coordinate efforts and take the necessary actions to improve the quality of the service.”
Personal, which is owned by Telecom, applied a 12.5 percent hike to their rates in January, while Movistar, owned by Telefónica, has not applied any hikes so far this year.
Both companies had announced further hikes in July, which have now been suspended. Claro also raised prices between 10 and 21 percent for contract customers. Nextel increased rates by eight percent.
Communication Secretary Norberto Berner revealed new rules for telecommunications services in July, giving the organization tolls to control the service provided by companies. After Personal and Movistar announced increments in July, Berner warned both companies that actions would be implemented to forbid them.
“Due to the rumours about a possible price hike on mobile phone services, the Communication Secretariat will take all the necessary actions together with the Domestic Trade Secretariat to avoid this situation,” Berner said back then.
More consumers complain about mobile phone operators than any other companies, according to consumer defence rankings.
—Herald with DyN, Télam.