December 9, 2013
Government sees crime control as campaign issueSunday, September 1, 2013
More Border Guards deployed in Greater BA
With crime control turning into a main issue of the October midterm elections, the national government yesterday announced that 4,000 Border Guards will be deployed to patrol Greater Buenos Aires.
“This is not a spasmodic policy, it is a policy that has been carried out for the last ten years,” national Security Minister Arturo Puricelli said yesterday on leading a ceremony to make the public announcement.
Puricelli was joined by national Security Secretary Sergio Berni and by Buenos Aires Governor Daniel Scioli, who has taken a leading role in Buenos Aires province’s campaign. Lomas de Zamora Mayor Martín Insau-rralde, who heads the Victory Front (FpV) ticket for the Lower House of Congress for October midterms, was also present.
Tigre Mayor Sergio Massa, the Renewal Front’s leading candidate to the Lower House in Buenos Aires province, based his campaign for October midterms on crime control, criticizing the national government for the alleged increase in crime. After Massa’s convincing victory in the PASO primaries on August 11 in Buenos Aires province, the Kirchnerite administration has apparently decided to take action regarding crime control in order to show that it has heard the message of its electoral defeat in the nation’s largest voting district.
“This is the continuity of a policy started in 2003, that means that the Border Guard has increased its presence by 90 percent,” the minister added before 4,000 Border Guards on parade at the Border Patrol’s academy in La Matanza, a sprawling Greater Buenos Aires district.
In a short speech, Puricelli also highlighted the improvements made regarding security forces during the Kirchnerite administrations.
Scioli, who on Friday attended a rally in Corrientes province to support the FpV candidate there, said that the national and provincial authorities are confronting organized crime. Scioli added that criminals seem to be willing to commit all sorts of cruelties. As President Cristina Fernández de Kirchner had previously done, the governor criticized the court system for “not applying the penalties that society is demanding.”
The “Sentinel Operation” was launched in 2011 by then Security Minister Nilda Garré, who was recently ousted from her position and replaced with former Defence minister Puricelli. Initially, 6,000 officers had been sent to patrol the street of 24 cities in the Greater Buenos Aires.
Puricelli yesterday said that he signed a resolution to transfer 85 million pesos, which will be devoted to 700 patrol cars, which will be used within Buenos Aires province to carry out this new phase of the operation.
Insaurralde yesterday echoed Scioli and requested a more active court system to fight crime.
“We are preparing bills regarding crime control and disarmament and we will table them before December 10,” the FpV candidate announced. As the Herald earlier reported, in Buenos Aires province the ruling party is working on a bill to establish municipal police forces, one of Massa’s pet issues.
Meanwhile, Defence Minister Agustín Rossi said that another 4,000 Border Guards will be deployed to the Northern provinces, from where the government received criticism for transferring officers originally posted there to Buenos Aires province.
Herald staff with Télam, DyN