May 25, 2013
AMIA case: General Attorney sources rule out Timerman provided key data
Sources from the Public Prosecutor's office investigating the AMIA bombing told ámbito.com that Foreign Minister Héctor Timerman did not give any key clue to clarify the terrorist attack that left 85 deaths, as the official assured today during his briefing at the Lower House.
Sources close to the investigation reminded that in 2010 Timerman called the General Attorney headed by Alberto Nisman and told them about the news in US media linking a terrorist being judged in the US with Moshen Rabbani, accused of being the mastermind of the attack in the AMIA.
"Timerman may have referred to a call he did to the General Attorney office in which he spoke about an alert he had received from Google news in his cellphone of an article that stated that the four terrorists, who had been detained in 2007 accused of planning an attack at the JFK airport in New York, were closely linked to Rabbani," the source stated.
Besides, he highlighted that "Timerman had received this information from a news agency cable in English, but two hours later it was already known across Buenos Aires, translated to Spanish by other agencies and media."
This afternoon, the Minister had stressed during his briefing at the Lower House that he has always searched for justice in the AMIA case and assured he had given key information to fiscal Nisman and that it was essential to trigger the detention of Iran officials.
"I gave Nisman the main evidence of the investigation," Timerman said at first, although he did not continue with the issue, until Proyecto Sur lawmaker Alcira Argumedo asked him to.
Nevertheless, the General Attorney's office sources deny this version and ratify that this information came from a news agency.