May 25, 2013
Shutting down Subte A Line is 'stupid', says Pianelli
The secretary general of the subway workers’ union, Roberto Pianelli, said that the City Government’s decision to shut down the A Line for almost two months is “stupid” because “we will have less trains” in service.
Pianelli explained that the service suspension of the line running between the Plaza de Mayo and Carabobo stations looks to replace the “72 century-old Belgian cars currently in use for 45 new Chinese-made cars” purchased last year by the National Government.
The union leader also said that by 10 AM on Monday, workers were to be officially notified by Metrovías and the City Government of the plans to shut down the line, a move that the unionists had called “unnecessary.”
Regarding the alleged possibility of a price hike in the subway fare being mulled by the City Government (between $3.50 and $3.90), Pianelli assured that “the law transferring the subway system from the National to the metropolitan jurisdiction does not allow it,” and explained that any changes to the fare must first be approved by the City Legislature.