June 19, 2013
De Vido, sceptical over announcement
Federal Planning Minister Julio De Vido expressed his reservations about the Buenos Aires City government’s announcement that the amount of rubbish produced in the district would be reduced by 78 percent in a year and a half. De Vido said “it sounded like the 10 kilometres of subway” that City Mayor Mauricio Macri pledged to build per year during his campaign and failed to deliver.
The Kirchnerite minister said the goal was not going to be reached “unless (the City) starts working seriously, something it hasn’t done so far.” He then added: “The national government has the policy of not condemning any area to being a dump.”
These statements came after City Cabinet Chief Horacio Rodríguez Larreta told reporters that the “natural” solution to the issue of garbage disposal “would have been to extend the Ceamse” rubbish processing plant, located in the Greater Buenos Aires district of José León Suárez.
Rodríguez Larreta said he “could not understand” why President Cristina Fernández de Kirchner did not approve the extension of the sanitation landfill “Norte III.”
On Tuesday Macri met with Buenos Aires Governor Daniel Scioli and pledged to reduce the amount of rubbish buried in landfills located in Greater Buenos Aires.
— Herald with DyN, Telam