D-Day looms for Armstrong but case likely to drag on
The Lance Armstrong doping scandal reaches a decisive day on Monday when cycling's governing body announces whether it has ratified the US Anti-Doping Agency's sanctions but whatever happens the affair is set to run and run.
International Cycling Union (UCI) president Pat McQuaid will hold a news conference at 7.00 a.m. EDT on Monday at which he is widely expected to confirm that Armstrong, 41, is banned for life and loses his record seven Tour de France titles.
Last month, McQuaid said the UCI had no reason to appeal against the USADA decision, adding that the ruling body was waiting to read the reasoned decision and case file published after Armstrong elected not to fight the charges.
The USADA report, released last week, is a 1,000 page document which shows, the Agency says, that Armstrong took part in a doping scheme on his way to his unrivalled success on the Tour from 1999-2005.
The report accused Armstrong, as head of the US Postal Service Pro Cycling Team, of running "the most sophisticated, professionalized and successful doping program that sport has ever seen."
It included sworn testimony from 26 people, including 15 riders, who described years of performance drug use.
If the UCI rules that USADA has failed to make a case, the sport's governing body will take the matter to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).




















