May 24, 2013
Gov't announces 'compensation' for Coast Guard officers
National Cabinet Chief Juan Manuel Abal Medina announced in a press conference given this morning, that “compensation will be given” to Border and retired Coast Guard officers in their wage dispute.
The ministers held an emergency meeting in order to evaluate the pay dispute put forward by the officers in a protest which began yesterday in Buenos Aires City and today spread to different cities across the country.
The government said today that they were investigating into whether the wages were not paid in full due to an “administrative error” or whether there was “intent to cause chaos, endangering workers from the lowest category to the highest.”
Furthermore, Abal Medina shed light on the fact that as from now the wage packets would be put through by the National Security Ministry and not by the Armed Forces.
In that regard, the government also said that the Border Guard officers and Coast Guard officers affected by the payment mishap would be paid the same as what they received last month.
Alongside the Cabinet Chief were Economy Minister Hernán Lorenzino and Security Minister Nilda Garré.