June 18, 2013
Del Potro out of Davis Cup semifinals due to injury
Argentina's Juan Martin del Potro has pulled out of Sunday's first singles in the Davis Cup semi-final against Czech Republic because of an injury to his right wrist.
Captain Martin Jaite said Del Potro, who almost withdrew earlier in the week, was feeling more pain in his wrist after his three-set win over Radek Stepanek in Friday's opening singles.
"Juan Martin will not be in tomorrow's first singles against Tomas Berdych and he will be replaced by Carlos Berlocq," captain Martin Jaite told a news conference.
Del Potro opened up for Argentina with a three-set victory over Radek Stepanek on Friday before world number six Berdych overcame Juan Monaco in five sets to level the tie at 1-1.
Berdych and Stepanek then teamed up on Saturday to win the doubles 6-3 6-4 6-3 against Berlocq and Eduardo Schwank.
"Juan Martin finished yesterday's match in quite a bit more pain than the previous days. He's not in condition to play," said Argentina team doctor Miguel Khoury.
"He will not move his wrist for 10 days. That's the best decision for Juan Martin and the team."
Former US Open champion Del Potro, who missed most of the 2010 season after having surgery on the same wrist, was recommended two weeks of rest by his doctor but decided to make himself available to Jaite on Wednesday.
He said yesterday he decided to play because of massive support from Argentine fans.