Del Potro ready to play despite injury
World number eight Juan Martín del Potro will play for Argentina in its Davis Cup semifinal at home to Czech Republic this weekend despite a left wrist problem. “This is for the people more than anything,” said the 2009 US Open champion.
Slowed by an injury to his left wrist, Juan Martín del Potro said he’s ready to play when Argentina opens its Davis Cup semifinal against the Czech Republic tomorrow.
“This is for the people more than anything,” Del Potro said yesterday. “It’s sweet playing in Argentina, and because of this I’ll try to give my utmost.”
Del Potro practiced at the outdoor clay-court venue Parque Roca, and will join Juan Mónaco in singles with Carlos Berlocq and Eduardo Schwank set for doubles.
The 2009 US Open champions Del Potro raised the alarm on Monday when he said his doctor had recommended a fortnight’s rest after being troubled by his left wrist during the US Open last week. The Argentine was beaten by Novak Djokovic last week in the US Open quarterfinals.
“What I need (to do) to recover is rest as my doctor has already told me but I’ll try to leave that for later on,” Del Potro said.
The Czechs will counter with Tomas Berdych and Radek Stepanek in singles and probably doubles in the outdoor clay-court tie. Lukas Rosol and Ivo Minar are also on the team.




















