Friday
September 22, 2017
Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Subway strike to continue one more day

For the fourth consecutive day, Buenos Aires City was left with no subway service due to a union strike.

Subway workers will hold a fifth consecutive day of strike after wage hike negotiations with breakway union AGTSyP, UTA union leaders, Metrovías concessionary company, SBASE officials and City lawmaker María José Lubertino and a Federal Judge failed.

Bus stops were even more crowded as usual this evening as the fourth day of the subway strike comes to an end. The City Government once again implemented a free transport service of 500 school buses between 6 pm and 8.90 pm to transport people affected by the measure

Earlier union leader Néstor Segovia has warned about the possibility of a fifth day of strike. “We remain firm in our intention of discussing a 28 percent wage hike and better working conditions for employees,” the lead union member of the C line affirmed today.

Furthermore, Segovia questioned Buenos Aires City Mayor Mauricio Macri for “having bumped up the ticket prices to $2.50 and not take responsibility,” of the subway service.

“The strike is being extended because nobody has called us, and no meeting has been convened,” said AGTSyP under-secretary Néstor Segovia.

The Buenos Aires City government yesterday implemented a free transport service of 500 school buses between 6pm and 8.30pm to transport commuters affected by the measure, which affected passengers over the weekend and yesterday.

According to Segovia, “direct responsibility” for the continued strike measure fell on Buenos Aires City Mayor Mauricio Macri, and the AGTSyP representative described the decision to use school buses as “immature.”

“(Mauricio) Macri is directly responsible for this situation. Instead of resolving the conflict, he deploys school buses. What an immature decision!” said Segovia.

Earlier in the day, Macri accused the same workers of “pushing politics at the expense of the people” and insisted that the national government “is still responsible” for the service.

National Transport Secretary Alejandro Ramos asked Macri “not to hold the people hostage” and to “take charge of the subway service.”

The member of the national government criticized “this capricious behaviour” of the City mayor for not taking charge of “something so obvious.”

  • CommentComment
  • Increase font size Decrease font sizeSize
  • Email article
    email
  • Print
    Print
  • Share
    1. Vote
    2. Not interesting Little interesting Interesting Very interesting Indispensable
Tags:  City  Government  City  Macri  subway  strike  delays  buses  





  • Comment
  • Increase font size Decrease font size
  • mail
  • Print

COMMENTS >

Comment




    ámbito financiero    ambito.com    Docsalud    AlRugby.com    

Edition No. 5055 - This publication is a property of NEFIR S.A. -RNPI Nº 5343955 - Issn 1852 - 9224 - Te. 4349-1500 - San Juan 141 , (C1063ACY) CABA - Director Perdiodístico: Ricardo Daloia
Grupo Indalo